Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA)

All foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries travelling to Canada by air must first obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). This eTA is valid for up to 5 years or if your passport expires within 5 years. 

You either need a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport. You only need one or the other, not both.

Who needs an eTA to travel to Canada?

You need an eTA if you’re a:

  • Visa-exempt foreign national and you’re flying to or transiting through a Canadian airport
    • As a visa-exempt foreign national, you do NOT need an eTA (or a visitor visa) when arriving by car, bus, train or boat (including a cruise ship).
  • Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. and you’re flying to or transiting through a Canadian airport
    • You must present a valid Green Card and the valid passport used to apply for your eTA at check-in.
    • you also do NOT need an eTA when arriving by car, bus, train or boat,including a cruise ship.

You may be eligible to apply for an eTA (instead of a visitor visa) if you’re a:

  • Citizens from select visa-required countries and you’re travelling to Canada by air.
    • However, you still need a visitor visa (not an eTA) when arriving by car, bus, train, or boat, including a cruise ship.

Contact us for further information regarding the procedures for applying for an eTA.

Your Immigration Journey Starts Here
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Our mission is to simplify the Canadian immigration process for you.
Yash Sharma
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.
(+1) 647-530-0426
9, Doris Pawley Crescent, Caledon, Ontario - L7C 4E7
Member # R534521
Verify Status with ICCRC
Copyright © 2020 Mars immigration Inc. All rights reserved.
menu-circle linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram