Open Work Permit Canada

An open work permit is different from a regular or closed work permit. In this case a worker is not required to work for a particular employer rather he can opt to work for any employer apart from the ones that are listed ineligible.The applicant doesn’t need to have an offer of employment or a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

Spousal Open Work Permits

In some cases,spouses and common-law partners of foreign nationals may be able to apply for an open work permit which allows him or her to accept any job with any employer. 

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • have a valid study permit and
  • are a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree)

Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP)

Graduates of Canadian post-secondary institutions are eligible for a one-time post-graduation work permit after completing their studies. These open work permits grant work authorization to international students, allowing them to gain valuable Canadian work experience that may be used as part of a later application for Permanent Residency.

Skilled Canadian work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B that is gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry.

Duration of PGWP

You must have studied at least for 8 month but less than 2 years in the designated Institute. For example if you have studied for say 16 months (which is more than 8 months) then you will be eligible for an open work permit for 16 months and if you did your study for 24 months or more then you are eligible for an Open Work Permit of 3 years.

Few more clarification:

  • If your study program, in which you are enrolled as full time, is for eight months but is finished in six months or so under any accelerated program, you may still apply for a Post-Graduate work permit.
  • Transfers between the schools are allowed but if you transfer from the non-designated learning institution to the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) then only the time spent in DLI will be considered as eligible for the PG work permit.
  • If you complete your 1-year degree or diploma from a DLI within two years of your last 1-year degree or diploma from another DLI, you will be eligible for a three year PG work permit as both degrees or diplomas will be eligible as two years of study.
  • If you had to study part time in the final academic session as you need less number of courses in the final session to complete your diploma or degree but you meet all other requirements you still are eligible as this period of study will also be taken as full time study.

Contact us  for further information regarding the procedures for application under this stream.

Your Immigration Journey Starts Here
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Our mission is to simplify the Canadian immigration process for you.
Yash Sharma
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.
(+1) 647-530-0426
9, Doris Pawley Crescent, Caledon, Ontario - L7C 4E7
Member # R534521
Verify Status with ICCRC
Copyright © 2020 Mars immigration Inc. All rights reserved.
menu-circle linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram